ADSM-L

Re: Benefits of moving to platform other than OS/390

2002-03-22 05:35:08
Subject: Re: Benefits of moving to platform other than OS/390
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:35:53 +0200
Hi Wayne - and others following this thread with interest....

Firstly, how big is your current environment on OS/390 as far as
TSM is concerned. I really do not see OS/390 scaling like AIX
when it comes to TSM...
I agree that most of the people running OS/390 have all the
scheduling/reporting/tape handling sorted out and it works
very well.
OK - here comes my personal views (Based on 7+ years of
running ADSM/TSM on Sun/Aix/NT/2000 and OS/390:
General Performance: If you give OS/390 unlimited resources - so, in
other words - no memory/cpu contention - it would perform
OK. AIX on the other hand will scream if it was running on a
S80 for instance.
I/O performance: Escon on OS/390 limited to +- 15 Mb/sec - normally
you share that with the rest of the LPAR - batch and whatever else
you are running. On AIX you have FCP - a lot cheaper and faster
than escon implementations on OS/390. Like mentioned already by
other members - OS/390 you are limited in terms of robotics you
can implement - basically a STK silo or IBM 3494. On AIX you
have a very wide range of supported configs.
Reporting: You can do all your reporting still from OS/390,
even if you are running a TSM server on NT/AIX/Sun. We have
all our reporting/problem logging for our TSM environment
running from OS/390 - although the TSM servers are a mix
of OS/390 and many NT TSM servers.
Tape mgmt. your RMM, TLMS etc. are in anycase told that it
must not manage TSM data - TSM has that built in. On AIX
you just let TSM handle it. At the end of the day the only
real benefit I can see on OS/390 and tape handling is if
you have electronic vaulting set up - so your robotics and
tape drives for your off-site storage pools are located
physically off-site but genn'ed as local drives.

With scripts and maybe DRM in place it should be just as
easy to manage your tapes on AIX as on OS/390.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards
Christo

TSM on S/390 works great here. We have good automation tools for message
handling and staff to note messages that haven't been automated. We schedule
lots of batch admin clients with the S/390 job scheduler that generate
reports that are distributed thru  the report distribution software. No
performance problems here, except we do have to compete for tape drives...

Thank you.

"The information contained in this communication is confidential and
may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to
receive it.  If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action
in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  Absa is neither liable for the proper, complete
transmission of the information contained in this communication, any
delay in its receipt or that the mail is virus-free."