ADSM-L

Re: Why are all my NT files getting backed up again?

2002-03-22 04:33:53
Subject: Re: Why are all my NT files getting backed up again?
From: Michael Benjamin <MBenjamin AT BUNNINGS.COM DOT AU>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:33:24 +0800
The Administrators Guide is a bit vague on the process of determining a
file's eligibility due to changes...

I assume ADSM uses, file timestamp, filesize as the main items. I'm doubt if
it delves as deep as changed inode numbers or fat table entries, as this
would
produce very large overhead for the server to go and check, and the database
would be huge.

NT is a different story to Unix, you're either running FAT or NTFS, I'm not
sure how TSM under NT will handle a file's physical movement on the disk.
I'm
surprised if a defragment would trigger incrementals. It's undesirable
behaviour really.

Admin guide segment follows:

"The backup of files according to policy defined in the backup copy group of
the management class for the files. An incremental backup typically backs up
all files that are new or that have changed since the last incremental
backup. "

When a user requests a full incremental backup, TSM performs the following
steps to determine eligibility:
        Checks each file against the user's include-exclude list:
*       Files that are excluded are not eligible for backup.
*       If files are not excluded and a management class is specified with
the INCLUDE option, TSM uses that management class.
*       If files are not excluded but a management class is not specified
with the INCLUDE option, TSM uses the default management class.
*       If no include-exclude list exists, all files in the client domain
are eligible for backup, and TSM uses the default management class.
        Checks the management class of each included file:
*       If there is a bckup copy group, the process continues with step 3.
*       If there is no backup copy group, the file is not eligible for
backup.
        Checks the mode, frequency, and serialization defined in the backup
copy group.
                Mode
                        Specifies whether the file is backed up only if it
has changed since the last backup (modified) or whenever a backup is
requested (absolute).
                Frequency
                        Specifies the minimum number of days that must
elapse between backups.
                Serialization
                        Specifies how files are handled if they are modified
while being backed up and what happens if modification occurs.
*       If the mode is modified and the minimum number of days have elapsed
since the file was last backed up, TSM determines if the file has been
changed since it was last backed up:
*       If the file has been changed and the serialization requirement is
met, the file is backed up.
*       If the file has not been changed, it is not backed up.
*       If the mode is modified and the minimum number of days have not
elapsed since the file was last backed up, the file is not eligible for
backup.
*       If the mode is absolute, the minimum number of days have elapsed
since the file was last backed up, and the serialization requirement is met,
the file is backed up.
*       If the mode is absolute and the minimum number of days have not
elapsed since the file was last backed up, the file is not eligible for
backup.

Bunnings Legal Disclaimer:

1)      This document is confidential and may contain legally privileged
        information. If you are not the intended recipient you must not
        read, copy, distribute or act in reliance on it.
        If you have received this document in error, please telephone
        us immediately on (08) 9365-1555.

2)      All e-mails sent to and sent from Bunnings Building Supplies are
        scanned for content. Any material deemed to contain inappropriate
        subject matter will be reported to the e-mail administrator of
        all parties concerned.