ADSM-L

Re: Benefits of moving to platform other than OS/390

2002-03-21 06:09:23
Subject: Re: Benefits of moving to platform other than OS/390
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:06:36 +0000
Hi,
I have been following this thread with much interest.
We are in the scenario of running both TSM AIX and OS390 servers.
We are looking currently at standardising on one or the other.
Both have their plus ponts.
OS390 is very good on tape management (dfrmm) and via netview, rexx and infoman
problem alerting.
For example we pick up on backup failure messages and also backups that have not
started within an hour of their scheduled start.
However it does have two drawbacks as far as I am concerned.
It is a fairly limited market for TSM so it is not going to get top resource for
development
As already identified it will normally run on an lpar with a mixed workload and
may accordingly suffer from resource constraints.
AIX is not my area, but in broad terms I believe it is not so good on the tape
management front
The AIX guys use an external scheduler ( MAESTRO)  and scripting to achieve a
similar level of alerting
to backup failures.
The big advantage that I think they have is that they run TSM (actually ADSM, in
their case) on dedicated boxes.
What I would reaaly love to know is if there is anyone out there running TSM on
OS390 on a dedicated lpar, and if so whether they are very happy /happy/ or just
ok with the performance .
Thanks,
John

"Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT naptheon DOT com> on 03/21/2002 04:34:33 AM

Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <adsm-l AT vm.marist DOT edu>