ADSM-L

Re: Benefits of moving to platform other than OS/390

2002-03-21 00:56:08
Subject: Re: Benefits of moving to platform other than OS/390
From: "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:39:46 -0500
You can get the hardware and software for a P660-6H1 loaded with cards for
much less than $100K including 4-450Mhz.  This includes no disk.  The point
here is run your TSM environment on the right platform for your environment.

Too often, open systems is the bastard child in mainframe shops and they
will limit what the resources are that will be used for it.  I saw it in our
environment 5 years ago.  If we had put TSM on an AIX machine then we would
have never gone the Veritas route and then converted to TSM.

The issue is the open systems environment doing enterprise computing needs
an equivalent enterprise backup solution.  Data relationships in open
systems are 10 times that required for a mainframe.  Reliable tape drives
are expensive.  Why buy more when I can steal some of the mainframe stuff
and take care of the problem.  Then grow up an open systems environment to
40TB.  You are never going to move that trough an IP pipe to the mainframe.

I am an old mainframer as well.  TSM runs really well on UNIX and W2K.  In
fact, if you do not blow out the IO Bus on W2K it runs as fast or faster on
W2K than it does on AIX because TSM does 256KB raw IO on W2K, something that
cannot be done with JFS on AIX.

The place where TSM shines on the mainframe is lite-weight clients attached
to a mainframe.  There is little recurring data updates, just the onetime
load down.