ADSM-L

Re: Determining deleted files

2002-03-20 11:47:42
Subject: Re: Determining deleted files
From: Charles Anderson <ceanderson AT DIS.UMSMED DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:42:57 -0600
Scott,

well, I can't say that this is the best way to do it, but this is what
I've been doing.  I have ( and I'm guessing most folks probably do ) an
email that goes out to the SysAdmins of the machines that we back up
with the status of their backup ( completed,failed,missed,?,etc ) and
some other useful info on the backups of individual nodes as can be
assertained from the activity log.  Some useful error codes are as
follows.

ANE4987E - Files that are in use at backup time ( and failed for that
purpose )
ANE4007E - Files that TSM was denied access to. ( TSM couldn't read the
file )
ANE4005E - Files that have probably been deleted

I can't say that's it's 100% accurate, but it's not too bad.  Anyway,
that's what I'm doing, I don't have any idea on your second question.

-ed
Ed Anderson
Ed Anderson
Unix Systems Administrator
University of Mississippi Medical Center
ceanderson AT dis.umsmed DOT edu

>>> sfoley AT NETDOCUMENTS DOT COM 2002/03/20 09:30:29 AM >>>
I would like to use TSM to determine what files have been deleted from
file server the previous day (or any given day if possible).
For example, on Monday TSM backed up the file bob.txt, but on Tuesday
that
file had been deleted so it was not backed up.  I would think that some
sort
of query on Retain Only Version or Versions deleted may do it, but I
don't
know how.

A related question:  Can I use TSM to determine if any files have been
drastically reduced in size?  For example on Monday bob.txt was 100K
when
backed up, but on Tuesday it was only 1K when backed up.  I would not
have a
specific file in mind, so this would also need to be done on all
files.

Thanks for any insight.

Scott Foley