ADSM-L

Re: versioning for user's files

2002-03-18 11:06:16
Subject: Re: versioning for user's files
From: "Don France (P.A.C.E.)" <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 07:59:47 -0800
You're on the right track...

1. VE/VD/RE/RO parms would be */*/42/42 -- that gives you point-in-time
restore for any file over the past 6 weeks;  do the math, and monitor the
actual usage -- most shops experience less than 10% turnover per work-day,
we did our sizing based on 5% (even that was abit on the high side).  Using
these parameters gives you exactly what you have today, without re-sending
files that don't change (using the "standard" progressive incremental backup
in TSM)... and you'll save over 90% of tape real estate in the process!

2. Monthly backup sets, with two year retention;   this gives you the
monthly snapshot of all "active" versions -- again, exactly matches your
current situation -- and, again, without sending the data over the network.

Hope this helps.

Don France
Technical Architect - Tivoli Storage Manager

Professional Association of Contract Employees (P.A.C.E.)
San Jose, CA
mailto:don_france AT att DOT net