ADSM-L

Re: How do we change which nic on a client adsm contacts?

2002-03-18 11:04:41
Subject: Re: How do we change which nic on a client adsm contacts?
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:11:23 -0500
> We recently thought we would try to change which NIC one of our nodes' uses
> to do backups.
> From what I'd been able to find on the adsm message boards out there, it
> looked as if ADSM, when initially contacted by a node, traps the IP address
> that the node uses and stores that information untill contacted by that node
> on a different IP address.
> So when we were finally able to we downed the primary NIC and restarted the
> dsmc sched process . ( Thinking was that the client would contact adsm with
> the desired IP address and that would then be trapped and everything would
> be fine. )
> But it did not work.
> Does anyone have any ideas?!

We have done this on many of our client systems. The only special measure
we had to take was running a 'route add' command to tell the system to route
packets destined for the TSM server by way of a router on the same subnet as
the second NIC. On Windows NT clients we could run the 'route add' command
once, specifying the option that made the new route persistent accross
subsequent reboots. On Unix clients we had to arrange to have the 'route
add' command run at each reboot. Conventions for doing this vary between
Unix implementations. In cases where the 'route add' was first done after
TSM was set up, we made a point of stopping and restarting the client
scheduler process just after the initial 'route add'.