ADSM-L

Re: virtual volumes?

2002-03-14 11:14:07
Subject: Re: virtual volumes?
From: Richard Cowen <richard_cowen AT CNT DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 10:03:16 -0600

Yes, I was speaking of the copygroup on the target server (ADSM-ML-WSTP is
the target server?)

From the Guide (aix 4.2), pages 348pp:

Setting Up Source and Target Servers for Virtual Volumes

In the source/target relationship, the source server is defined as a client
node of the target
server. To set up this relationship, a number of steps must be performed at
the two servers.
In the following example (illustrated in Figure 60 on page 350), the source
server is named
DELHI and the target server is named TOKYO.
¶ At DELHI:
1. Define the target server:
v TOKYO has a TCP/IP address of 9.115.3.221:1845
v Assigns to TOKYO the password CALCITE.
v Assigns DELHI as the node name by which the source server DELHI will be
known at the target server. If no node name is assigned, the server name of
the
source server is used. To see the server name, you can issue the QUERY
STATUS command.
2. Define a device class for the data to be sent to the target server. The
device type for
this device class must be SERVER, and the definition must include the name
of the target server.
¶ At TOKYO:
Register the source server as a client node. The target server can use an
existing policy
domain and storage pool for the data from the source server. However, you
can define a
separate management policy and storage pool for the source server. Doing so
can
provide more control over storage pool resources.
1. Use the REGISTER NODE command to define the source server as a node of
TYPE=SERVER. The policy domain to which the node is assigned determines
where
the data from the source server is stored. Data from the source server is
stored in the
storage pool specified in the archive copy group of the default management
class of
that domain.
2. You can set up a separate policy and storage pool for the source server.
a. Define a storage pool named SOURCEPOOL:
define stgpool sourcepool autotapeclass maxscratch=20
b. Copy an existing policy domain STANDARD to a new domain named
SOURCEDOMAIN:
copy domain standard sourcedomain
c. Assign SOURCEPOOL as the archive copy group destination in the default
management class of SOURCEDOMAIN:
update copygroup sourcedomain standard standard type=archive
destination=sourcepool              <<<<======>>>
After issuing these commands, ensure that you assign the source server to
the new
policy domain (UPDATE NODE) and activate the policy.