ADSM-L

Re: Backup to multiple tape simultaneously

2002-03-13 13:47:43
Subject: Re: Backup to multiple tape simultaneously
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:45:12 -0500
Not necessarily. Just start multiple restore sessions. Do a DSMC RESTORE
command for each drive. You may run into tape contention if files from
different filespaces are on the same tape. You could also co-locate based on
filespace to reduce the tape contention. How often do you do these kinds of
large restores? Is it worth the management of mutliple node-names and
include-excludes for each server based on how often you restore? If there
are requirements for this type of speed on restore, maybe directing those
servers to a separate storage pool that is co-located?

I'm not trying to pick apart your backup strategy, just trying to understand
it. There may come a time where I have a client with these same needs and
the information in this thread would come in handy.

Bill