ADSM-L

Re: Need some ADSM pointers

2002-03-13 09:22:13
Subject: Re: Need some ADSM pointers
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:18:57 +0000
Here's a summary of the questions and answers discovered:

* Is there a way on Solaris boxes to adjust sliding windows? TCPWINDOW doesn't
  seem to work in dsm.sys on the Solaris-based clients.

  Unknown. Possibly just simply not supported for Solaris, but is for AIX.

* What's the appropriate way to exclude a directory and everything under it?

  Set up lines like this in the inclexcl file:

  exclude.dir /opt/foo

  (or exclude.fs if it's on its own fs)

* Is it possible to rename the ADSM server's name? (Not machine hostname,
  but its ADSM name) Or am I just out of luck short of a total reinstall?

  adsm> set servername <new name>

  set this in dsm.sys on all clients

* Where do I obtain latest ADSM and TSM server and client fixes? Is there
  a FTP or HTTP site?

  ftp://index.storsys.ibm.com/adsm/fixes/v3r1/aixsrv/

  3.1.2.90 is the final maint release for 3.1.2. EOL was 31 Jan 2001.

  For TSM patches:

  ftp://index.storsys.ibm.com/tivoli-storage-management/patches

  For TSM maint levels:

  ftp://index.storsys.ibm.com/tivoli-storage-management/maintenance

* Is there any way to temporarily disable paging (ie, <ENTER> to continue)
  within dsmadmc when wanting to gather data for easy copy-n-paste? At least
  one command's output looks very poor when done in batch mode with stdout
  redirected to a file.

* Where can I find documentation pertaining to my version of ADSM server?

  /usr/share/html
  /usr/share/pdf
  ADSM install CD

  For ADSM docs:

  http://www.adsm.org
  click DOCS for links to 3.1 manuals in HTML and PDF

  For TSM support:

  http://www.tivoli.com/support/storage_mgr/tivolimain.html

  For TSM docs:

  http://www.tivoli.com/products/index/storage_mgr/

  ADSM redbooks:

  Version 3 Technical Guide (SG242236)
  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/pubs/pdfs/redbooks/sg242236.pdf

  ADSM to Back Up Databases (SG244335)
  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/pubs/pdfs/redbooks/sg244335.pdf

  TSM client manuals for v4.2.1:

  UNIX - Using the Backup-Archive Client

http://www.tivoli.com/support/public/Prodman/public_manuals/td/TSMC/SH26-4122-02/en_US/PDF/SH26-4122-02.pdf

  Installing the Clients

http://www.tivoli.com/support/public/Prodman/public_manuals/td/TSMC/SH26-4119-02/en_US/PDF/SH26-4119-02.pdf

  Windows - Using the Backup-Archive Client

http://www.tivoli.com/support/public/Prodman/public_manuals/td/TSMC/SH26-4117-02/en_US/PDF/SH26-4117-02.pdf

  TSM server manuals for AIX, v4.2:

  Managed System for SAN Storage Agent's User Guide

http://www.tivoli.com/support/public/Prodman/public_manuals/td/SMAIXN/GC36-0001-01/en_US/PDF/GC36-0001-01.pdf

  Administrator's Reference

http://www.tivoli.com/support/public/Prodman/public_manuals/td/SMAIXN/GC35-0404-01/en_US/PDF/GC35-0404-01.pdf

  Administrator's Guide

http://www.tivoli.com/support/public/Prodman/public_manuals/td/SMAIXN/GC35-0403-01/en_US/PDF/GC35-0403-01.pdf

  Quick Start

http://www.tivoli.com/support/public/Prodman/public_manuals/td/SMAIXN/GC35-0402-01/en_US/PDF/GC35-0402-01.pdf

A million thanks to the following individuals:

        Steve Harris
        Demetrius Malbrough
        Alex Paschal
        Wanda Prather
        Jeffery Bach

Now I'm on the right path. :) I do believe we will be migrating to TSM v4
shortly... but for now, needed to deal with any more immediate ADSM v3 support
issues here (especially since it's EOL'd!).

Very interesting processing of the includes/excludes - duly noted and just
means that I'll have to carefully study those some more for the more
interesting (and pathological, heh) cases.

-Dan Foster
IP Systems Engineering (IPSE)
IP Systems Engineering (IPSE)
Global Crossing Telecommunications