ADSM-L

Re: Need some ADSM pointers

2015-10-04 17:10:42
Subject: Re: Need some ADSM pointers
From: Prather, Wanda [mailto:Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Welcome Dan!

* Where can I find documentation pertaining to my version of ADSM server?
  All I have right now is literally a big README file which seems more
  geared toward listing changes or new features rather than describing
  server functionality and options. Any PDF files? Web sites? Text files?

        Links for pdf and html files are available from the TSM home page
for current TSM versions:
        http://www.tivoli.com/products/index/storage_mgr/

        But I don't think the 3.1 manuals are there any more.
        For those, go to www.adsm.org, click DOCS.
        There are links to the 3.1 manuals in HTML and PDF format.

* Where do I obtain latest ADSM and TSM server and client fixes? Is there
  a FTP or WWW site?

        http://www.tivoli.com/products/index/storage_mgr/
        Click on FIXES AND CLIENT CODE, it will take you direct to the FTP
site. But you won't find fixes for the 3.1 server;  The upgrade from ADSM to
TSM is a chargeable upgrade, you will  have to buy a TSM V4 license and
upgrade from the CD.

* Is there a way on Solaris boxes to adjust sliding windows? TCPWINDOW
doesn't
  seem to work in dsm.sys on the Solaris-based clients.

        Clueless.  I'll pass.

* What's the appropriate way to exclude a directory and everything under it?
  Currently, I have this in my inclexcl file:

        EXCLUDE.DIR and EXCLUDE work differently.
        Since   /opt/foo is a directory, the syntax you have (  exclude.dir
/opt/foo ) is correct.

        EXCLUDE.DIR tells TSM NOT TO EVEN LOOK inside /opt/foo.
        EXCLUDE.DIR is processed first and overrides any INCLUDE/EXCLUDE
statements below it.
        So in your case yes, everything after that is redundant.

        There are cases where you want to do this instead:
        exclude /opt/foo/.../*

        (...  matches 0-n subdirectories)
        (*   matches  0-n characters)

        It excludes the same FILES, but TSM still traverses the directory.
TSM selects a candidate for backup, and matches it against the
EXCLUDE/INCLUDE statements from the bottom up.  So if you did this:

        exclude /opt/foo/.../*
        include  /opt/foo/too/.../*

        TSM will search all the directories below foo, including too.  Any
of the files in too will match the INCLUDE, which is processed first
(because- well, because in this case, it is last, and they are processed
bottom up.  We never said this is easy..) and they will be backed up.  Any
files not in too but in foo (or other subdirectories) will match the EXCLUDE
and NOT be backed up.

        You can't INCLUDE a subdirectory like this, when the parent
directory has been exlcuded via EXCLUDE.DIR.

* Is it possible to rename the ADSM server's name? (Not machine hostname,
  but its ADSM name) Or am I just out of luck short of a total reinstall?
  I poked around with the online help for update and rename commands, and
  didn't seem to see anything which makes me think I may be out of luck.

        Not sure what you are after;  enter this on an admin command line:
HELP SET SERVERNAME

* Is there any way to temporarily disable paging (ie, <ENTER> to continue)
  within dsmadmc when wanting to gather data for easy copy-n-paste? At least
  one command's output looks very poor when done in batch mode with stdout
  redirected to a file.

        If you are using at least a 3.7 admin client (and maybe 3.1, but I
don't remember) you have these other options from an AIX prompt:

        dsmadmc -id=blah  -password=blahblah  -commadelimited "q whatever"
        dsmadmc -id=blah  -password=blahblah  -tabdelimited  "q whatever"
        dsmamdc -id=blah  -password=blahblah  -outfile=filename   "q
whatever"

        That gives you the output commadelimited, tabdelimited, or formatted
into a file.
        One of those usually gives you something that is easier to grep, or
cut and paste.

Hope that gives you a kick start!
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert