ADSM-L

Re: backup fails because inspection process takes too long.

2002-03-12 11:01:16
Subject: Re: backup fails because inspection process takes too long.
From: Henk ten Have <hthta AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:58:49 +0100
  John,

> Anyone know anything about this or have any suggestions on how to get this
> AIX client to successfully backup instead of spending so much time checking
> each file? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  We did have such problems a long time ago. Every (AIX) user can screw up your
  backup, by making more then let's say 100.000 files in one directory.
  This is something Unix don't like. Even a "ls -l" will hardly ever end,
  ans so does the backupclient too. The only possibility to get a backup which
  will be successfully, is exclude such a directory, and better exclude such
  a user from your backup. Just start a 'dsmc i' and you find out where your
  client will die. Try a "ls -l|wc -l" and see what happens.
  Exclude that user and email him that his files/directories
  will never be backup from now one. I garantee you he will remove a lot of
  files (which will take him quite a while), make apologise himself and ask
  you after a while "if you please will backup him again", with a couple of
  mea culpa's etc.

  Cheers,
  Henk.