ADSM-L

Re: Tape Library Capacity Requirement.

2002-03-12 03:49:10
Subject: Re: Tape Library Capacity Requirement.
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:46:42 +0100
Hi

3 versions for incremental backup would, if you have 3.7TB of data, become 3 times the amount in the library(11.1TB).

4 versions of archieved information would become 4 times the amount of archived information(14.8TB if you archive all data).

With this much information, you would get two important features using TSM:

- You don't have to transport either full, nor Legato/Veritas incrementals(which means full+incr+incr+incr+incr+incr and then start over with full).

- Reclamation. With this much information stored on tape, reclamation is necessary to keep the library from eating tapes.
I would also recommend you to use a tape technique which stores a lot of information on each tape, such as LTO which stores 100GB uncompressed, and 200GB compressed.

Using large tapes would get us to the next feature, which is copypools. Loosing one 200GB tape means loosing a lot of information. Therefore, using copypools as media protection is a good idea. On the other hand, using copypools means using twice the amount of tapes, as you have one copy of each tape that holds information.

A IBM 3584 library holds 144 tapes as default, which means 28.8TB compressed, and can, with a small investment, hold 288 tapes, or 56.6TB compressed.

If you would like to expand the library further, just add another frame to the library. Each frame can hold about 440 tapes, which means 80TB compressed. You can have up to five additional frames.

The point is to not have to remove tapes from the library, as this is a manual intervention, and opens up for human errors. You could make it with a smaller library, but that would mean removing, and inserting,  tapes into the library.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB