ADSM-L

Re: MPTHREADING for OS/390

2002-03-08 01:16:28
Subject: Re: MPTHREADING for OS/390
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 08:15:07 +0200
Hi Ann,

We run exactly the same environment - OS/390 and TSM versions.
We have been using the MPTHREADING YES parameter for the last
2-3 years - no problems directly related to the MPTHREADING.
What we have had for a while now is a call open for TSM going
into a flat spin when there is a tape I/O error. What would
happen is TSM would not except any new sessions - admin or client.
When doing a D GRS,ALL you can see TSM is waiting for SYSZTIOT.
After a certain period of time it would resolve the I/O error,
and TSM would carry on with whatever it was busy with.
How this ties in with MPTHREADING I'm not too sure about, but
development asked us to turn it off to take another variable
out of the picture.
You then really notice how much the MPTHREADING helps if you
have multiple CP's to use.
With MPTHREADING NO the server performs like a very slow dog!

Hope this helps - like I've said - there has not been one instance
where the MPTHREADING caused any undesirable results.

Cheers
Christo Heuer
ABSA Bank
Johannesburg
South Africa

We are running the following:

Our MVS is OS/390 2.10.
TSM server is Version 4, Release 1, Level 2.0

I've been asked to look into MPTHREADING and determine if there are any
reasons NOT to implement it.  I've searched the archives and found a
refrence from a long time ago concerning ADSM taking ALL of the engines in a
frame, but that was for the V3.x.  Since there was an APAR mentioned I'll
assume that it's been fixed in V4.x (but will verify of course).

Please let me know of any information concerning the implications of this
parameter.

Thanks!!
Ann...

DISCLAIMER:   The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential
and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee.  Access, copying
or re-use of the e-mail or any information contained therein by any other
person is not authorized.  If you are not the intended recipient please
notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.

"The information contained in this communication is confidential and
may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to
receive it.  If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action
in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  Absa is neither liable for the proper, complete
transmission of the information contained in this communication, any
delay in its receipt or that the mail is virus-free."