ADSM-L

Re: Sysback/6000 vs. mksysb for TSM DR restore

2002-03-07 15:40:34
Subject: Re: Sysback/6000 vs. mksysb for TSM DR restore
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 14:37:05 -0600
One quick thought, just install the needed drivers on the H70.
Miles

>>> VKliewer AT MPI.MB DOT CA 07-Mar-02 11:19:12 AM >>>
Hi,

We have been using Sysback/6000 for years as our backup recovery tool for
our AIX systems. We are now merging many of those servers, and the
collection of non-AIX systems is proliferating so we are migrating to a TSM
backup/recovery mechanism. The TSM server is an AIX based NSM box.

I am in the process of learning the ins and outs of DR with a TSM and the
first step is to restore the TSM server itself. The first method tried was
the IBM standard mksysb. Because the box I am restoring onto is a different
model, size and slightly newer architecture with newer cards and I/O
subsystems, it took a while to figure out the right combination of CD's,
mksysb tape, and procedures to get the DR test system working. For example,
the boot disk requires drivers that do not exist on the H70, and they have
to be installed after the mksysb restore, but before we can actually use the
restored system. Once I got the restored system into a usable state, I still
faced the task of cleaning up and recreating the storage pool volume group
and it's associated logical volumes and filesystems. The DR test box also
has a very different set of hdisks onto which to restore the disk storage
pools.

It occurred to me, and has been mentioned on this mailing list, that using
Sysback/6000 would afford me the option of having the Sysback restore
rebuild those other LVM objects in a familiar way. The questions I have have
to do with the disparate hardware and driver requirements: Would the extra
driver restore procedures be required? Assuming they would, would I need
more of them or does the Sysback restore pull some of that from the AIX
install disks the way mksysb is supposed to? Then, if I need them, would
they work?

I should be able to test this next month some time, but any help or gotcha's
would be appreciated.

Werner Kliewer
Manitoba Public Insurance