ADSM-L

Re: No drives available - UPDATE

2002-03-07 13:03:06
Subject: Re: No drives available - UPDATE
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:00:39 -0800
If its the same or similiar problem I had in converting from
a 3466-C00 (tsm 3) to a 3466-C01(tsm 4) but using the same 3494/3590s
then its because your system thinks the tapes are ONLY capatible in
READ/ONLY mount modes.

Even though you are mounting a tape for RESTORE if you look closely
you will find the tapes are being mounted R/W.  If the system sees
a tape R/O it will mount it R/O and this bypasses the problem.

The system thinks the tapes were originally written using heads
(B1/E1/whatever) that are write-incompatible with your 'current/new'
(even though the same) drives.

IBM offered the above workaround but I know of no APAR to adddress it
with a fix.   I think TIVOLI doesn't understand IBM's religious belief
in upward compatibility and so TSM 4 doesn't have a bridge from
ADSM/TSM 3.

If I'm right then your works cut out for you.  You have to move data or
reclamate all FILLING tapes and make all FULL tapes READ/ONLY until they
are re-cycled.  that's what I had to do.  SIGH.

                 hope this helps.

            ... joe.f.

Joseph A Faracchio,  Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley
Private mail on any topic should be directed to :
         joef AT racchio DOT net
 (510)642-7638 (w)  (209)483-JOEF (M)
                             5633
   2 weeks left!!!