ADSM-L

shrdynamic still skips a file

2002-03-06 10:26:10
Subject: shrdynamic still skips a file
From: "Brown, Bud" <Bud.Brown AT DHHA DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:24:45 -0700
Current specs are:

Server:  RS/6000, TSM 4.1.4.1, AIX 4.3.3
Client:  TSM 4.1.4, AIX 4.3.3

Our vendor that supports the application running on this box wanted
shrdynamic for serialization to back a large comma delimited file.  Even
though the management class associated with the file has shrdynamic set,
it continues to skip the file because it changes in the middle of
backup.  From what I have read and the definitions below the file should
get backed up but the integrity wouldn't necessarily be intact.  Is that
a wrong assumption?
Shrdynamic Specifies that if the file or directory is being modified
during a backup attempt, Tivoli Storage Manager backs up the file or
directory during the last attempt even though the file or directory is
being modified. Tivoli Storage Manager attempts to perform a backup as
many as four times, depending on the value specified for the
CHANGINGRETRIES client option.
Dynamic Specifies that a file or directory is backed up on the first
attempt by Tivoli Storage Manager, regardless of whether the file or
directory is being modified during backup processing.

Does anyone know why the file would continue to skip?  If I need to
provide more information please let me know.

Bud Brown
Information Services
Systems Administrator
303-436-5986