ADSM-L

Re: Urgent question: Version retention

2015-10-04 17:10:41
Subject: Re: Urgent question: Version retention
From: Cory Heikel [mailto:CHEIKEL AT PSU DOT EDU]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Agreed, my concern is why the retain only did not kick in at the time the
files was renamed to .avb. Is tsm really not recognizing a change in the
file even though its' type changed? I have displayed active and inactive
versions for these files and it is as if the .exe version never existed. I
have also looked at the expire inventory and it shows only 1 file being
expired for the entire server. I know of at least 18 on this particular
server that are in the same situation. So it doesn't seem to have expired
the .exe version of the files.

Cory

>>> DMalbrough AT TTIINC DOT COM 03/05/02 10:47AM >>>
It seems to me that this was a very rare situation! As you stated, TSM would
not have changed the extension on the file from .exe to .avb, that was the
anti-virus software or virus itself. Since this file did not change in 33
days this was the only file, which was **ACTIVE** since Nov. 29th, 2001.
Thirty-three days passed by WITHOUT the file changing (Dec 31st, 2001).

So, if this file is changed any point after Dec 31st, it will become
INACTIVE & be flagged for expiration after the next incremental backup. If
expiration has already been run (typically it has if it runs daily) the now
INACTIVE copy hqb.exe will drop off and this file (corrupted) hqb.avb will
be ACTIVE for 33 days (beginning March 2nd,2002) until it is changed!

The only thing that could've gotten you out of this situation was a longer
"Retain Extra Versions"!

Only my thoughts!!!!!

Regards,

Demetrius Malbrough