ADSM-L

Re: OFF TOPIC: Oracle DB on ESS.

2002-03-04 10:36:28
Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC: Oracle DB on ESS.
From: "Anderson F. Nobre" <anderson AT SOLVO.COM DOT BR>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 12:44:14 -0300
Hi,

As many host adapters, ranks, clusters you can use better is your
performance. If you really need throughtput you should consider to implement
RAID 0 throught LVM. For example, lets supose that you gonna create an
Oracle instance about 400GB and you have four ranks available to you. More
you gonna create separate filesystems to datafiles, redo logs, index, and
tmp for your instance.
In the case for your redo logs supose that you have origlogA, origlogB,
mirrlogA, mirrlogB. For these filesystems, create one on each rank and to
rest create an LV stripped by four LUNs, each of different rank.
The size of stripe I've read that's better to use between 64KB and 128KB.
But was used 32KB because the size of registry was 32KB.
Remember, if use RAID 0 from LVM of AIX you loose some facilities like
reorvg for the LVs stripped and when the space of LUNs finishes you won't
increase the size of your LV. So you have to plan very well before to
implement.
If you want the facility of striping between LUNs but don't want the
limitations of RAID 0 implementation of AIX LVM. So you should change the
attribute interpolicy of your LVs to maximum. But you have to create your
VGs with PP size as little as possible. Try with -t and -B if you use AIX
4.3.3.
The I/O workload is not so smooth as RAID 0 but many cases it's good.

Regards,

Anderson