ADSM-L

Re: Server-side scripting: not supported?

2015-10-04 17:10:40
Subject: Re: Server-side scripting: not supported?
From: Joseph Seigh [mailto:jseigh AT GENUITY DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Quoting Ted Byrne <tbyrne AT DSSCORP DOT COM>:
> Has anyone received a similar response from TSM support in the past?
> We are working on an issue with a process running for a very long
> time, and received the following as part of the response from TSM
> support:
>
>          [W]as that the
>          run-time of a specific backup process, or was
>          that the run-time of the entire script.
>
>          Since we do not support scripts, I need to verify
>          that this problem is not your script. Try running
>          each command in your script manually.
>
> The specific instance was a storagepool backup that was still running
> a day later, parked on a 16+ GB file.  The storagepool  backup was
> tape to tape; the drives are on separate, dedicated SCSI adapters.
>
> TSM Server is Win2k,
> TSM version 4.2.1.0,
> IBM 3583 Library

TSM does not support scripting. I assumed at one point that meant the
scripts per se, but no it's scripting.  I tried to pin down the precise
definition of scripting since in unix everything runs from a shell more or
less, with an
exec() system call, and with some tty and enviroment restrictions applied.
No, just sh, ksh, and csh  (the standard shells) from the command line.

It doesn't say much for TSM that they cannot even state what their command
runtime environment should be, and that they impose arbitrary restrictions
on their command usage instead.

Joe Seigh