ADSM-L

FW: 3583 LTO problems

2015-10-04 17:12:14
Subject: FW: 3583 LTO problems
From: Mark Bertrand [mailto:Mark.Bertrand AT USUNWIRED DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
If you are using the 3583 with Windows 2000 do not let the hardware guys
upgrade your tape drive firmware to 18N2, there is a know issue that is not
communicated between the Hardware and Software folks.

Our nightmare started with a physical bad tape drive. A new drive was
ordered and installed by the CE. Since the new drive came with the latest
firmware it caused I/O errors and kept going offline. The problem was
thought to be another bad drive from factory so it was replaced again, again
the new drive came in with the new (bad) firmware. The CE called IBM
support, their answer "it must be the out of date firmware on the other
remaining three drives, upgrade all firmware" things went downhill from
there.
My story now goes into week two,.. after all firmware upgraded, SCSi cables
changed, drives swapped, all drives now giving I/O errors all the time
marking tapes as unavailable causing I/O errors making a real mess that we
are still working through. Enter the "TopGun" 3583 guy who gets on the phone
with Tivoli level 2 support who tells him that firmware 18N2 and windows
2000 have "known" issues. Downgrade firmware to 16E0 on all drives, problem
fixed..., cleanup starts.

This is a true store, no names have been changed to protect the innocent.

BTW, we have had the problems you are mentioning. Thanks Kelly for your
suggestion, we will implement it as soon as we get everything straightened
out.

Mark Bertrand