ADSM-L

Re: TSM with 3rd party scheduler

2002-02-27 17:21:51
Subject: Re: TSM with 3rd party scheduler
From: Robert Clark <raclark AT REGENCE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:39:54 -0800
If all hosts are setup for polling, and the default checkin period is 12
hours, then you could do something like:

a) Show me all hosts that have checked in for the last 24 hours.

b) Show me all hosts that have checked in for the last 13 hours.

Any host in "a" but not in "b", has missed at least one checkin.

[RC]

        Robert Clark
 The Regence Group
Storage Administrator

                    Joseph Seigh
                    <jseigh@GENUI        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    TY.COM>              cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: TSM with 3rd party
scheduler
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    02/27/2002
                    01:25 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Quoting Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>:
> > The problem is that if for example you have 1000 clients scheduled to
> > backup during an 8 hour window, it would be nice to know which clients
> > have non functioning scheduler daemons at the beginning of the window
> > rather than at the end of the window when it would be a lot more
difficult
> > to meet your SLA's.
> >
> > Joe Seigh
> >

> Of course all client activety is logged in your activety log, one could
easily
> write a script (unix shell) to find messages stating "Schedule prompter
was
> not able to contact client" (ANR2716E) in the log every few minutes and
send a
> warning. Of course there are about 20 of this kind of messages to trigger
on...

No, that's good.  Probably not perfect as there seem to be limited
conditions
as to where it applies.  I'll have to experiment some more.  We will be
using
Tivoli to handle events from the actlog, but I'll try to see how useful it
is
for feedback on client schedule activity.

Joe Seigh

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains
information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely
for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified
that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly
prohibited.  Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended
to be a legally binding signature.