ADSM-L

Mysterious expiration

2002-02-27 13:04:02
Subject: Mysterious expiration
From: "Ron L. James" <ron.james AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:50:38 -0700
Ok,

any and all ideas on this would be appreciated.

Originally we had a Sun client in a policy domain with a default mgt class
called "standard" with
Ver exist = 9999
Ver delete = 30
Ret Ver = 180
Ret Only = 180

(management finally realized this was a bit excessive for a database and
agreed to reduce the retentions.

Then we moved the client to another policy domain with a different mgt class
name (Default)
Rebinding of the files to the default management class went as expected
(rebound 10,450 objects)

Ver exist = 32
Ver delete = 1
Ret Ver = 32
Ret Only = 32

After the backup ran and rebound the objects expiration ran and all was
well - we could see all 32 versions available for restoring if we chose.
Then the next night the backup ran and expired 350 objects. Now we can only
select (either from the GUI or Command line) those versions backed up after
the rebinding has taken place - or to put it another way the previous 31
versions that could originally be restored (after the rebinding and first
expiration) are gone. None of these files were deleted as they are Oracle
DB's and we all know what would have happened.

Any ideas?????? Wild or reasonable.....

Ron L. James
Software Consultant / Facilities Manager
STORServer Inc.
ron.james AT storserver DOT com