ADSM-L

Re: MS SQL TDP help

2002-02-25 14:00:54
Subject: Re: MS SQL TDP help
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:58:05 -0500
I think the main thing is that the schedule you have set up for the TDP SQL
backup is defined as ACTION : INCREMENTAL as a normal backup.

For TDP backups ACTION should be COMMAND and in the OBJECTS
parameter shoukld be something like "C:\Progra~1\Tivoli\TSM\TDPSql\sqlfull.cmd"
You have an sqlfull.smp files as installed, need to copy this to sqlfull.cmd
and make any needed changes.

Also make changes to the dsm.opt file in TDPSql dir.  Make entries for INCLUDE
statements to reflect the management class you want backups to be bound to.
The way this all works has changed significantly from TDP SQL 1.1, if you had
it.  Note also that TDP 2.2 will not work with SQL 6.5 DB's or lower, if you
have
any.

Suggest download the TDP SQL 2.2  PDF manual from www.tivoli.com.
You don't need online acount to do this.

David Longo

>>> booth AT CHIANTI.CSO.UIUC DOT EDU 02/25/02 01:37PM >>>
I am hoping someone can give some insight into problems I am having getting
the MS SQL TDP V2 to run on a Windows 2K box.

The main problem I am having is with the scheduler.  The box runs both
normal backups, and TDP backups via a scheduler service.  The TDP options
file lists a separate port '1502' for the TCPclientport, and the box is
listening on both 1501 (normal) and 1502 (TDP) in it's netstat listing.
The TDP options file also lists a different node name for the TDP backup.

The problem is, that the scheduler performs both backups, but the one that
is supposed to be a TDP backup, remains a regular windows backup.  It does
not backup the database, but the same windows files that the regular ba
client performs.

I am a TDP newbie, and I don't do windows, so I am kind of at a loss as to
where to start on this one.  We have tried removing the node, the schedule,
and starting over.  If you run the backup by hand, the system lists the
node as a TDP type client, but once the schedule runs, it reverts back to
WinNT, and backs up C$ and D$.  The client does not seem to be invoking the
TDP module for this schedule, but we can't figure out why.

The server is AIX V4.3.3 running TSM 4.1.5.

Thanks for any assistance.

Bob

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 02/25/02 14:10:57
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.