ADSM-L

Re: 'Delay Period for Volume Reuse'

2002-02-21 15:30:24
Subject: Re: 'Delay Period for Volume Reuse'
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:27:50 -0500
Yes, if you want to keep the DB volumes for 7 days, then the resusedelay
should be 7 days also.  If you are using DRM then it will take care of the
db volumes, therefore you don't need the delete volhist for type=dbb.
(If the delete volhist runs before expiration, then the db volume can get
"lost", DRM doesn't see it to move it to "vaultretrieve" state and you won't
recall it from the vault and it won't show up in any "drm state".)

David Longo

>>> brianwelsh3 AT HOTMAIL DOT COM 02/21/02 11:39AM >>>
Hello *sm-ers,

I'm the new TSM-administration in our organisation and I have a question
about how the last adminstrator set up the option 'Delay Period for Volume
Reuse'.
In our environment we have a diskpool. Every day we migrate the
back-up/archive data to a tapepool. We also have some administrative command
schedules. One schedule is a delete volhistory command, like 'del
volhistt=all todate=-30'. We also have a command 'del volhist t=dbb
todate=-7'. The option 'Delay Period for Volume Reuse' for our tapepool is
'0' (zero). After reading the manual I was wondering if the Delay Reuse
period has the right value in combination with delvolhist dbb. I guess it
had to be set to 7, because when you want to do a point-in-time restore of
the database, it is possible there is no data on the tapes left to restore,
in spite of the database is saying there should be data on that tape.

Am I right? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your information.

Brian.

Chat on line met vrienden en probeer MSN Messenger uit:
http://messenger.msn.nl

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 02/21/02 15:40:36
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.