ADSM-L

Re: Help on changing node name

2002-02-20 19:00:55
Subject: Re: Help on changing node name
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:58:16 -0500
What does this is basically the "rename node" command.  I have done
this for an indentical machine, but it works similar for different machines.

As I understand your scenario: B is existing node, A is not on backup yet.

use:  rename node B A

You also have to then double check the associations of schedules
you had for old node B, I recall they follow B with rename.  Then
on client old B change nodename in dsm.opt files to A.  Then stop
and restart the scheduler and this should then contact server as node A
 and server will get new IP.  Double check this.

Then register new node B.  Setup any new schedules for it or associate
old schedules.  Configure dsm.opt etc. on new node B and start scheduler
and it should contact server as node B.

(Part of this depends on whether you have schedmode prompted or
polling.  You may need to do dsmc command on each client to set
password.)

Then you can deleet filespace on old B - new A later and remove node
when it's finally gone.

Careful to double check and make sure each client is backing up to correct node.

If you were going to do more elaborate changes it could be a little more
difficult, but could be done with more planning.

David Longo

>>> Chan_K AT CI.WICHITA.KS DOT US 02/20/02 05:19PM >>>
Hi all TSMers. Here is the situation I'm running into. I have to nodes, A
and B with totally different hardware and software configurations (OS). And,
B was already on backup. A will need to be on backup as well. BUT, A will
replace B soon with the node name and IP address change from A to B. In
other words, A will have the node name and IP address information of B and B
will have the node name and IP address of B when changing over. The reason
for the change is for better hardware performance. After the switchover,
node A (initially was B) will keep around for about a month or so. So, my
question is can this be done? If so, how would I accomplish this task? A
step-by-step guide will be great if possible. Worst case scenario, I can
stop the backup on B and delete all filespaces for B of off the server
before the switchover.  A is running on Win2000 and B is running on NT4.0. B
is running 4.2.1.20 B/A client. TSM Server is 4.2.1.0 (NT4 SP6). Any help
will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Kien

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 02/20/02 19:11:05
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.