ADSM-L

TSM support of STK library in SAN environment

2015-10-04 17:12:13
Subject: TSM support of STK library in SAN environment
From: John Schneider [mailto:jdschn AT attglobal DOT net]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Greetings,
    I have looked through the listserv archives for an answer to this
question, but so far have not found an answer that quite addresses my
question.

I am about to install TSM 4.2.1 on an IBM pSeries box with FC attach
through Brocade switches to FC 9840 tape drives and a STK 9310
Powderhorn library.  Soon the customer is going to want to do LAN-free
backups using TSM Managed System for SAN Agent directly across this SAN
to the 9840 tape drives.

My questions:

1) Can TSM talk directly to this STK Library?  Do we need ACSLS?  I have
used TSM with other STK libraries, and just controlled them directly.
This library will not be attached to any other server besides TSM, so is
ACSLS required?  Does it make anything easier?

A: TSM cannot communicated directly to a STK 9310 library.  This is because
a 9310 library necessitates an ACSLS control connection.

2) IF I can directly talk to the library, how is this done?  TCP/IP,
through the SCSI interface, or what?

The library will communicate to the ACSLS server via a RS-232 or RS-432
serial connection.  The TSM server will communicate with ACSLS via TCP/IP.

3) The LAN-free page at the TSM web site hints that to do LAN free
backups to a STK ACSLS library, I would need the EDT software.  But is
this necessay IF I can control the STK library directly from TSM without
ACSLS?

This is tricky...according to TSM documentation, LAN-Free can be achieved,
in absence of EDT-DistribuTAPE, when you are using a SCSI attached STK
library.  If this is not the case, TSM has you employ the EDT-DistribuTAPE
product to establish connectivity.

Please reply directly, as well as to the list.

Thanks much in advance,

John Schneider
LSi