ADSM-L

Re: PC Magazine Enterprise Backup Article - NO MENTION OF

2002-02-15 05:29:59
Subject: Re: PC Magazine Enterprise Backup Article - NO MENTION OF
From: "Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:26:26 +0100
Hi Steve!
Before we used ADSM we used Legent's ESM (now I believe it's called CA-ESM).
ESM also stored one copy of each identical file. Believe me, you do not want
that. The first (and thus only) copy of winword.exe is definitively stored
on a different tape than the rest of the clients data. This kind of
duplicate backup data elimination causes the data to be scattered across
numerous tapes. I know this from experience. This is one of the reasons (the
other reason was that the product was buggy as hell) we migrated from ESM to
ADSM a few years ago.
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines