ADSM-L

Re: root required to kill TSM daemons?

2002-02-14 11:52:17
Subject: Re: root required to kill TSM daemons?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:49:44 -0500
I don't know if this is practical for everybody, but we send email about
backups to our NT admins same as to the UNIX admins, using AIX sendmail.
AIX sendmail can send mail to our EXCHANGE server.  I'm not an AIX heavy,
but I think my AIX guy just had to know the name of the Exchange server; it
will receive mail from AIX sendmail, same as it can receive mail from any
other external mail system coming off  the internet.. I think that's true of
most mail systems, not just EXCHANGE.

You can take several approaches to finding the right email address:

For a large group of NT clients managed by one (group of) administrators, I
put them in their own TSM domain.  Then any machines in that TSM domain, I
send the notification to that (group of) administrator's email address.

You can also make a list of mail addresses/nodename pairs in a file, and
have your ksh or perl script pick the mail address by looking it up in a
file.

Use the CONTACT field for NODENAME to store an email address, have your
script look it up with SELECT when you need to send the owner mail.  (This
is probably the most practical if someone like your HELP DESK does your node
name registration.)

Just create AIX mail aliases for each nodename.

Hope that helps?
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert