ADSM-L

Re: root required to kill TSM daemons?

2015-10-04 17:12:13
Subject: Re: root required to kill TSM daemons?
From: Cheryl Miller [mailto:millech AT WELLSFARGO DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
We are going to upgrade to Solaris 2.8 from 2.6 and we are also going to
remove NetBackup from the TSM server, since it is still backing up some
clients not yet converted.

Per Tivoli's Level 2 this is what our TSM crashing is from:
The problem you are seeing is caused by a limitation of the Solaris 2.6 OS.
At that OS level, the SUN library had a hard-coded limit of 255 open/fopen
calls allowed on the system at any given time. The SUN library can handle
any combination of <255 open/fopen calls, but any fopen calls that exceed
this limit will fail. Up to 1024 open calls can be made without any
problems. Each disk volume (db, log, stgpool) defined to TSM will account
for one open call. The fopen/open limit has been increased to 1024 in
Solaris 2.7.

Their are 2 problems that we are seeing that is causing us to have to bounce
the TSM daemons on the client side. One is when the TSM server crashes and
the backup is runnning, it will showed missed every day until the daemons
are bounced. The other is a problem with the postschedulecmd in the dsm.sys.
Tivoli told us that our e-mail notification script on unix is hanging
sometimes when it goes out to check the status of the backup. This is
confusing to me, because the script only checks the dsmsched.log? The 2
e-mail scripts we are using are attached.

What are your shops using for e-mail notifications to DBAs/system admins.
for the completion status of their backups on a daily basis? We don't have
any solutions for NTs at all for this issue.

Cheryl Miller
Wells Fargo Bank
Distributed Storage Management (DSM)
916-774-2073