ADSM-L

Re: Backup Sets for Long Term Storage

2002-02-13 16:32:13
Subject: Re: Backup Sets for Long Term Storage
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:13:03 -0500
I know the way things get lost around here (usually a process of the third
person to get the job isn't fully briefed by the second person who is now
moving to other responsibilities). I'd rather keep the data in my library.
I've got 6 LTO tapes in varying stages of filling on-site and 4 off-site.
Total data is about 900 GB. Since my library holds 660 tapes and we only own
380 right now I've no local storage problem. My off-site is the corporate
hanger at the airport, and it's near-infinitely expandable (we used to have
over 400 DLT tapes off-site, now we have 90+ LTO tapes off-site) . . .

But the non-portability is a real killer as well.

There's always my old standby - get the app developer to build unloads that
generate ASCII comma or colon delimited data and burn the result to CD.

Having been here when we moved from Burroughs B3700 to Honeywell DPS-8 to
IBM 4300 to IBM SP frame, and Forte-II to DM-IV to IMS to Oracle, it's the
ONLY way I'll guarantee the data can be accessed in seven years, no matter
what we created it with. We've still got historical data on 3480 cart in the
form of FDR/ABR backups of IMS databases on 3380 disk drives. If someone
really wants the data bad enough, I forced the issue enough that we also
have the source code to the programs on the same tapes . . . but I won't be
any part of the project to recover the data!

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc