ADSM-L

Re: Is it ok to exclude ntuser.dat, and usrclass.dat ????

2002-02-13 10:50:48
Subject: Re: Is it ok to exclude ntuser.dat, and usrclass.dat ????
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:48:12 -0500
Yes, we have clients like that, too.  The case I am aware of is NT services
if there are any SERVICES running on the machine using an account other
than SYSTEM, then those accounts are NEVER logged off.

To make sure that is what's happening, poke around in your adsm.sys
directory, look for the profile backups and their timestamps.  If you are
running the 4.2 client, just do a search for NTUSER.DAT in adsm.sys, check
the timestamps.  You will probably find that the profile IS being backed up
there when the registry backup occurs.  If you are running a lower level of
the client, you have to poke around more because it shows up under the NT
S-ID name, but it should still be in there.

If that's the case, then you're covered.  Once you've verified they are
indeed backing up, just change your MAIL NOTIFICATION scripts so that you
don't send the message to users about NTUSER.DAT failing its backup.  It's
not like a user data file where they can go back it up manually if it fails
the backup the night before!  The only way they can back it up, while logged
on, is via registry backup.

Hope that helps --
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert