ADSM-L

Re: RESTORE VOLUMES

2002-02-13 10:49:51
Subject: Re: RESTORE VOLUMES
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:47:20 -0500
Gary  -

you can get the volume names for the volumeusage table.
Here is a macro to do the select;  cut and paste the macro to a file,
then in dsmadmc enter

macro file_name 'NODE_NAME' = 'filespace_name'.  The output
will be in the file c:\tsmvolumes.txt.

Hope this helps.

/*                                              */
/* macro file to select the volumes that a node */
/* is stored on.                                */
/*                                              */
set sqldatetimeformat i
set sqldisplaymode w
set sqlmathmode r
commit
select distinct copy_type, left(node_name,16), left(volume_name,16), -
                left(stgpool_name,16) -
   from adsm.volumeusage  -
   where node_name = %1 -
     and copy_type in ('BACKUP', 'ARCHIVE') -
     and filespace_name %2 %3 -

At 08:01 PM 2/13/2002 +1100, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>                I am quite new to all things TSM and I have a question
>to what I believe is an unrealistic situation.
>
> Presently if, during my role as the TSM administrator I am asked to
>perform a data restore, I have no idea of what volumes will be required
>for the data.  I have a 30 slot library at my disposal, which I
>appreciate is quite small, however, if after  I kick off a restore I
>should have some indication as to what volumes are required thereby
>allowing me to check the volumes into the library before the restore job
>commences.
>
>        A recent example:  I had to restore 80MB worth of data and it
>took over 3.5 hours and over 18 tape changes.  The present situation is
>that after I start a restore I have to be glued to the console and wait
>for tape requests to appear in the activity log or via a pop-up.
>
>        My research has shown that other people have been asking the
>same thing as far back as 1998 but no-one appears to have provided a
>solution.  Tivoli have told me that it is possible with some pretty
>complex SQL statements.  Great now I have to learn SQL queries as well.
>
>Does anybody have any ideas on this matter?  It's not that hard
>surely..Oh yeah I'm running TSM Server 4.2.10 on a W2K platform with
>current clients running 4.2.1.
>

>Gary Swanton
>Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
>kelly14 AT optushome.com DOT au