ADSM-L

RESTORE VOLUMES

2015-10-04 17:12:13
Subject: RESTORE VOLUMES
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi All,

                I am quite new to all things TSM and I have a question
to what I believe is an unrealistic situation.

 Presently if, during my role as the TSM administrator I am asked to
perform a data restore, I have no idea of what volumes will be required
for the data.  I have a 30 slot library at my disposal, which I
appreciate is quite small, however, if after  I kick off a restore I
should have some indication as to what volumes are required thereby
allowing me to check the volumes into the library before the restore job
commences.

        A recent example:  I had to restore 80MB worth of data and it
took over 3.5 hours and over 18 tape changes.  The present situation is
that after I start a restore I have to be glued to the console and wait
for tape requests to appear in the activity log or via a pop-up.

        My research has shown that other people have been asking the
same thing as far back as 1998 but no-one appears to have provided a
solution.  Tivoli have told me that it is possible with some pretty
complex SQL statements.  Great now I have to learn SQL queries as well.

Does anybody have any ideas on this matter?  It's not that hard
surely..Oh yeah I'm running TSM Server 4.2.10 on a W2K platform with
current clients running 4.2.1.

Gary Swanton
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
kelly14 AT optushome.com DOT au