ADSM-L

Veritas and IBM

2015-10-04 17:12:13
Subject: Veritas and IBM
From: Richard L. Rhodes [mailto:rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
IBM and Veritas are getting quite close lately.  They are jointly
working on a project to port Veritas sftw to AIX.  This includes
Veritas's filesystem, volume manager, special DB filesystem,
clustering sftw, etc.  My understanding is that IBM has been pushing
this, and that a joint team of some of the best from both companies
are working on the port.  It's supposed to be available in the not
too distant future.  Last week I attended a Veritas DR seminar.  THe
speakers always included AIX when they talked about supported
platforms - "very soon".

The way I heard it, IBM wants AIX to be much more of a mainstream
Unix system.  They see Veritas support as a big step in this
direction, even if it competes with some of their own products.  For
companies that have standarized on Veritas sftw, AIX simply isn't an
option today.

I wouldn't worry about Veritas and support for BMR on AIX, but
rather, a resource issue as Veritas expands BMR and being spread too
thin to provide good support for existing platforms.

Rick

On 12 Feb 2002 at 13:41, Bill Boyer wrote:
> I have a client that is interested in BMR, but since Veritas bought
> them I don't feel comfortable pitching it. Don't know where it'll go.
>
> Bill Boyer
> DSS, Inc.

Confidentiality Note: The information transmitted is intended only for the
person or entity to whom or which it is addressed and may contain
dissemination or other use of this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this in error,
please delete this material immediately.