ADSM-L

Veritas and IBM

2002-02-12 14:30:18
Subject: Veritas and IBM
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:27:45 -5
IBM and Veritas are getting quite close lately.  They are jointly
working on a project to port Veritas sftw to AIX.  This includes
Veritas's filesystem, volume manager, special DB filesystem,
clustering sftw, etc.  My understanding is that IBM has been pushing
this, and that a joint team of some of the best from both companies
are working on the port.  It's supposed to be available in the not
too distant future.  Last week I attended a Veritas DR seminar.  THe
speakers always included AIX when they talked about supported
platforms - "very soon".

The way I heard it, IBM wants AIX to be much more of a mainstream
Unix system.  They see Veritas support as a big step in this
direction, even if it competes with some of their own products.  For
companies that have standarized on Veritas sftw, AIX simply isn't an
option today.

I wouldn't worry about Veritas and support for BMR on AIX, but
rather, a resource issue as Veritas expands BMR and being spread too
thin to provide good support for existing platforms.

Rick