ADSM-L

Re: root required to kill TSM daemons?

2002-02-08 18:17:08
Subject: Re: root required to kill TSM daemons?
From: Charles Anderson <ceanderson AT DIS.UMSMED DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 17:14:36 -0600
Ok,

Disclaimer #1 - I have never tried this.
Disclaimer #2 - I'm not painfully familair with solaris ( that's my guess at
the os you're using )

BUT.. in theory ( cracks knuckles ), if your user account(s) had rw access to
the Drives/Library ( i.e. /dev/XXXX ), the TSM process ( i.e. daemon ) _should_
be allowed to run in user space, given that any port >1024 is unprivileged.

I don't know what sort of dependancies the drivers might hold on needing root
privileges, but even if the SysAdmin made a disk group and changed the devices
to be owned and rw by that group, I don't see why it couldn't be done.

well, there's my 2cents.  change is expected.

-ed
Ed Anderson
Ed Anderson
Unix Systems Administrator
University of Mississippi Medical Center
ceanderson AT dis.umsmed DOT edu

>>> millech AT WELLSFARGO DOT COM 2002/02/08 03:16:11 PM >>>
Our company uses Powerbroker access instead of sudo and they don't want to
give us
pbrun su-root privileges. Any other ideas?