ADSM-L

Re: ANS0299E when starting NT scheduler service

2002-02-07 20:15:54
Subject: Re: ANS0299E when starting NT scheduler service
From: Dylan Ryback <dryback AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 18:13:42 -0700
Check the README and other docs that came with the 4.2 client software.  In
4.2 you have the option to have the CAD service manage the TSM Scheduler
service which is nice because the TSM Scheduler doesn't always have to
remain running.  Instead, the CAD communicates with the TSM server and when
it's time for the scheduled backup to begin, it automatically starts the TSM
Scheduler service on the client for you.  The main downside that I see with
this is if you're anything like me, when you have problems with an NT
client, you've been conditioned to check the status of the services to make
sure that the TSM Scheduler service is running.  Guess what: with 4.2
clients, the TSM Scheduler service will only be running when it's in the
midst of doing a backup (assuming you leave your config as is).

Your options here are to leave the MANAGEDSERVICES value in the dsm.opt file
'as is' with the SCHEDULE option, or remove it and leave the TSM Scheduler
service in a constant running state (like the old way).  You should find the
details on this somewhere in the README or associated docs, but I think they
forgot to put it in the 4.2 Client manual...

HTH,
Dylan