ADSM-L

HELP ME! My Netware backup moves like mud!

2002-02-07 13:47:27
Subject: HELP ME! My Netware backup moves like mud!
From: George Lesho <GLesho AT AFCE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 12:33:42 -0600
$SMers HELP ME PLEASE!

Server Win2K TSM 4.1.4.5 - Client Netware 5.1 TSM 4.1.3 -

I administer the TSM server remotely and am NOT the sys admin for the box.
Same holds true for the client... The remote site
previously used ArcServe and that server suddenly went belly up. Since the
plan for the remote location was to migrate
to TSM, the install of client code on a Netware box was pushed through
yesterday. After fumbling with the password stuff,
I kicked off an incremental backup of one volume. While this volume has a
capacity of 142 gigs, it is hopefully not close to
being fully utilized (the NW admin is at lunch or something and I have no
way of checking) because although I kicked off the backup at 17:00
yesterday, it is still running and less than 12gigs have been moved. I have
largecomm enabled and I am compressing on the client. Another Netware admin
has told me that the TSM client compression for Netware is very slow so....

How does one turn on compression on the 3570 drives in my 3575L24 at the
remote location (library attached to Win2K server via SCSI interface)??? Is
there a config file or a registry hack that is needed???
 I am a UNIX admin so please take pity and speak slowly ;-)

Thanks in advance -
George Lesho
backup admin (hehehe)
AFC Enterprises