ADSM-L

Re: Disposal of bad tapes

2002-02-06 13:10:59
Subject: Re: Disposal of bad tapes
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:08:12 -0500
> One additional note on disposal:  the tapes
> contain chromium, a carcinogenic heavy metal that must be disposed of as
> hazardous waste in the United States.

I just took a look at the storage products section of IBM's Web site. This
includes softcopy of G225-6759-02, a brochure on 3590 media. This publication
states that 3590 cartridges are "Classified as nonhazardous waste per EPA
Regulation 40CFR261 and may be disposed as normal office trash".

I don't think the same was true of all of the earlier cartrige media. A few
years ago my employer retired most of its inventory of 3480 cartridges. The
co-workers responsible for this told me that those cartridges had to be
treated as hazardous waste.