ADSM-L

Re: Anybody can help me on this?? Please help!!!! dbbackup does not help to reduce log pct....

2002-02-06 11:05:52
Subject: Re: Anybody can help me on this?? Please help!!!! dbbackup does not help to reduce log pct....
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:03:24 -0500
When a long-running transaction starts, it can "pin" data in the log.
Then even a DBBACKUP cannot clear the log until that long-running
transaction completes.

Look in your server activity log and see what OTHER activity is going on at
the time your DB backup runs.  Look for:

 EXPIRATION
 long-runing reclamation job
 a very long-running client backup

One of these is usually what causes the problem.

(In older versions of TSM there was also a bug that delayed clearing of the
log, but I haven't heard of this happening in 4.2.)