ADSM-L

Storage Pool Quesiton

2002-02-06 07:45:34
Subject: Storage Pool Quesiton
From: Jason Morgan <jmorga31 AT CSC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 12:42:32 +0000
Hi everyone,

I would just like to pick every ones brains.

I have the following environment

Source Environment.

TSM 3.1 running on AIX 4.2.1
IBM 3494 Library with IBM3590 Drives.
Server Names    Server1, Server2, Server3, Server4, Server5

TSM 4.1
StorageTek L700 SCSI attached.
Fibre-attached 9840 drives.
Server Names   NewServer1, NewServer2, NewServer3, NewServer4, NewServer5.

I am in the process of migrating the source systems to the new environment.
For the data restores, I have single 3590 drive with a stacker. The method
I have used so far, is recover the Source ADSM databases and restore the
data for each of the new servers by editing the dsm.opt and dsm.sys files.
This has been working ok so far because all the new servers are being
tested.

However, as soon as the first of the New Servers go live, I can no longer
restore the database. I will need to export and import the client data from
the source servers.

I have the following questions on my mind.

What is the best method of importing the data and using the new StorageTek
library ?  Should I create a new domain purely using the 9840 library and
register the original client to the new domain ? Will the data then be
stored on the new library ?

When the servers go live:-

What is the best way of backing up the data to the new Library ?

     Do I amend the device class for the current storage pools ?
     Do I create a new 9840 primary storage pool and alter the current
policy ? Ideally, I would like to have all data stored on the 9840.

Any ideas , thought would be appreciated

Many thanks

Jason