ADSM-L

Re: Licenses (What a joke!)

2002-02-05 14:33:53
Subject: Re: Licenses (What a joke!)
From: Dylan Ryback <dryback AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 12:31:45 -0700
I'm almost afraid to open this can of worms again, but for the purposes of
licensing TSM clients, it's my understanding that what is important is the
number and platform type of each node that is 'in use'.  'Q License' tells
you how many licenses you 'licensed' on the server (which is arbitrary
because there's no cap that I'm aware of) and then it tells you how many are
'in use'.  Based on feedback from my initial inquiry on the 'in use' issue,
many people mentioned that a license is considered 'in use' if the node has
contacted the server in the last 30 days.  However 'Q License' doesn't break
down 'in use' Backup/Archive (BA) licenses for each platform (at least not
in TSM v4.1.5) except when you're talking about things like TDP licenses.
So, I asked my Tivoli rep how it was that I was supposed to figure out which
platform type each of the 150 'in use' BA clients backing up to my TSM was.
Being the 'sales weenie' he is, he told me I'd have to go manually audit the
boxes to derive that.  I replied that I felt that was a bunch of
horse<expletive deleted> and that the whole 'Value Based Pricing' (VBP,
which also stands for Very Bad Pricing, Very Biased Pricing, etc.) model was
a bunch of <expletive deleted>, too!  I invited him to feel free to come
down and waste several hours/days of his life logging into the clients
trying to reconcile this, and not surprisingly, he declined.

Figuring there had to be a better way, I wrote the following query that I
think answers the burning question and accurately reconciles the 'in use' BA
client license question:

SELECT PLATFORM_NAME AS "Platform", COUNT(*) AS "Number of Nodes" FROM
NODES -
WHERE DAYS(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP)-DAYS(LASTACC_TIME) <= 30 -
GROUP BY PLATFORM_NAME

I don't know of any other way to do (and apparently, Tivoli doesn't either).
Oh yeah, then you have to figure out which 'Tier' of client yours is based
on number of CPU's it has.  Many thanks to Tivoli for the VBP!!!

HTH,
Dylan