ADSM-L

Re: Archive and keep last accessed date.

2002-02-05 06:35:51
Subject: Re: Archive and keep last accessed date.
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 12:27:33 +0100
Hi Lars

Seems you're doing a manual HSM routine?

Why don't use DiskXtender instead? DiskXtender doesn't change the last
accessed date/time, and migrates old files, based on your rules,
automatically to your storagepool(or storagepools, for example
disk>>optical>>tape).

The DiskXtender software isn't that expensive, but requires some work to
achieve best optimization.

For Netware servers, you could use FileWizard TSM from Knozall Software. It
has the same function as DiskXtender, but works with Netware 4X/5X. We're
using both applications in our demo environment, and it works like a charm.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Bergkällavägen 31D
192 79 SOLLENTUNA
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

                    Danielsson Lars

                    <Lars.Danielsson@        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    VOLVO.COM>               cc:

                    Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:     Re: Archive and keep
last accessed
                    Dist Stor                date.

                    Manager"

                    <[email protected]

                    .EDU>

                    2002-02-05 12:19

                    Please respond to

                    "ADSM: Dist Stor

                    Manager"

Daniel.

I agree the operating system changes the access date.

In the same time, I'm convinced you can take control of a file read to not
update the last accessed date or at least remember the date and put it back
again after the read.

I guess the TSM developers have the knowledge to fix an archive or backup
without updating the last accessed date.

From my point of view as a storage manager, centralised storage management
routines should never update the file attributes. They shall always reflect
the customer's/user's accesses.

I would like to see the TSM archive and TSM backup not updating the last
accessed date on the read files. In fact no infrastructure routine should
update the attributes. If I like to have a specific process for old files
(not used for a long time). How can I find them  to, for example,  archive
(with delete) if there have been some selective backups and/or archive
(copy only) executed. The files will not age right from the business point
of view.

   /Lars
Lars Danielsson
Volvo Information Technology AB
Dept 2510, HD2S
SE-40508 Gothenburg, Sweden
Telephone: +46 31 667479 Telefax: +46 31 662336
mailto:Lars.Danielsson AT volvo DOT com>