ADSM-L

Question about data protection for Oracle

2002-01-29 22:11:59
Subject: Question about data protection for Oracle
From: William SO Ng <ngwso AT HK1.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:08:22 +0800
Hello there,

I have a question about backup on Oracle and would like to get a
confirmation.  I understand TSM data protection provide ONLINE backup and
restore of database, i.e. database is still up and running during backup
and restore.  My questions are:

1.   Every time I do a backup on Oracle, I'll shutdown Oracle first.  Do I
still need TSM data protection ?  From what I understand, once I shutdown
Oracle, database is just a "file" to system and no process will lock these
file, so TSM should be able to backup these files safely without TSM data
protection, am I correct ?

2.   I heard that Oracle 8 provide tools to perform incremental backup on
database.  Do I still need TSM data protection ?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards
William

Tivoli Software, IBM Software Group, IBM China/Hong Kong Limited
11/F, PCCW Tower, Taikoo Place, 979 King's Road, Hong Kong
Internet : ngwso AT hk1.ibm DOT com
Tel: 2825-7613                    Fax: 2825-0022