ADSM-L

Re: Incr failed with ANS1076E *** Directory path not found ***

2002-01-29 14:13:51
Subject: Re: Incr failed with ANS1076E *** Directory path not found ***
From: George Lesho <GLesho AT AFCE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:00:07 -0600
Rene, This issue was hashed over in depth. The error you are seeing likely
comes only from Windoze clients and
not UNIX or Novel clients. Andy Railback explained the issue to me and it
has been fixed in a later release of the client
code... I kept Andy's note responding to my very same question:

Archives are not considered successful unless every file in your file spec
is backed up successfully. If one or more files fail, then the archive
will be flagged as failed.

The idea behind this is that archives are for long-term storage, and that
if you are looking to store the files for an extended period of time, it
is important that they *all* get archived. Thus anything other than 100%
of the files being archived will result in the failed event.

For the next release, we are planning on handling this a little
differently:

Scheduled backup-archive client operations where all the files are
processed successfully will have a status of "Success" and a return code
of 0 (zero). If the operation was invoked from the command line (or
script), dsmc will return '0' to the caller.

Scheduled backup-archive client operations where the *only* problems are
skipped files will have a status of "Success" and a return code of 4. If
the operation was invoked from the command line (or script), dsmc will
return '4' to the caller.

Thus the return code can be used to determine which events had skipped
files (and thus require further investigation) and which did not.

Standard caveat: This information is being provided on an informal basis,
and does not constitute any formal announcement or commitment.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group