ADSM-L

Background / Foreground Performance Mystery

2015-10-04 17:13:42
Subject: Background / Foreground Performance Mystery
From: Magura, Curtis [mailto:curtis.magura AT LMCO DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Client:
O/S - NT4 SP6A
TSM 4.2.1.20

Server:
AIX 4.3.3 ML6
TSM 4.2.1.7

We have one NT client the has degraded terribly over the past couple of
months. We are in the midst of upgrading clients to .20 and the hope was it
would help. No luck.

Here's the weird part. If I logon to the machine and run dsmc incr the
backup performance is about what we expect. Last night we backed up 155.56
GB in 09:05:16. This is an Intel file server with a tad over 4.8 million
files on it. If the TSM Scheduler Service starts the backup it takes more
than 24 hours to complete! And even more weird it used to run using the
scheduler just fine..... Standard caveats....nobody has changed anything or
so they all say!!! Except of course the upgrade to the newer client that I
mentioned. I also deleted and recreated the TSM Scheduler Service.... No
difference. The machine is set give performance preference to background
tasks per right clicking on properties of My Computer.

I'm at a loss as to why the scheduler performance in unacceptable. Earlier
today I setup an "AT" job to start up the dsmc incr command to see how it
would run. Appears to be running at the same pace as if it was started via
the Scheduler service.

I'll take any help on this one!

Curt Magura
Lockheed Martin EIS