ADSM-L

Antwort: Re: Backup of Sun OS

2002-01-29 11:39:24
Subject: Antwort: Re: Backup of Sun OS
From: Peter Sattler <Peter.Sattler AT COMPAREX DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:13:55 +0100
Hi folks,

going back to the basic: use ufsdump/ufsrestore to create a bootable (yes!)
image on a virgin disk ( no Volume Manager !).

example:

virgin disk is /dev/dsk/c1t5d0 and has same size as root disk. Now two ways
to Loch Lemond: high one you will create partitions of the same size as on
your root disk, low one take one partition for all except swap.

Whatever you choose, partition it and create filesystems on all partitions.
Mount new root under /new, new var under /new/var etc.

Do ufsdump/restore:

ufsdump 0f - / | ( cd /new; ufsrestore rf - )

and for var :

ufsdump 0f - /var | ( cd /new/var; ufsrestore rf - )

for /opt the same ...

Remember : ufsdump is always relative to the filesystem, so a mountpoint
such as /var is always omitted !

Don't forget to install a bootblock, in this case:

installboot .... (see man page, example sparc ) /dev/rdsk/c1t5d0s0 ( if
slice 0 is / )

AND : Remove any traces of Volume Manager ( see Veritas VM / Solstice Disk
Suite for details ).

Even though you have copied a LIVE! system, it will be ok. What you will be
missing isn't necessary and you come up with a working spare disk. Do it
regularly and test it and be happy forever. The difference to a boot net is
the possibility to boot without network and to customize it to your very
needs including special data saved for restart purposes.

Yours Peter Sattler

peter.sattler AT comparex DOT de

Ray Schafer <schafer AT TKG DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> am 27.01.2002 22:50:11

Bitte antworten an "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

Gesendet von:  "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>