ADSM-L

Slow LTO drives

2002-01-28 16:29:04
Subject: Slow LTO drives
From: Bill Smoldt <smoldt AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 00:23:56 +0300
I've gone back through the list about the slow LTO issues.  I haven't found
anything that works in this case.

TSM V4.2.1.9
W2K SP2
3584 Library at latest firmware
LTO drives at 18N2 firmware latest on devdrvr
Netfinity xSeries 350
LTO Device driver is 4.0.2.4 - tried 4.0.2.1 and previous versions of
4.0.1.x
RSM disabled.

Possible issues:

Drives and library are connected using the motherboard SCSI 7899 Ultra 160
chips - one per channel - no internal devices connected.  I know about the
Microsoft vs Adaptec supplied driver but can't determine if it applies to
this chipset.

Cable length to get to the library is long but already installed under the
floor - at least the 12 meter limit and maybe a bit longer (I'm trying to
find out)

These drives write at about 4G/hour even on 4 GB files.  The device drivers
don't stay loaded after a reboot but have to be updated by hand.

Does anyone have any suggestions to speed these drives up?

Thanks,

Bill Smoldt
STORServer, Inc.