ADSM-L

Re: Mitigating Risk with TSM's incremental backups

2002-01-26 19:24:31
Subject: Re: Mitigating Risk with TSM's incremental backups
From: Steve Roder <spr AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 19:22:02 -0500
> That tells me what is coming back soon.  You can get elaborate and select
> only the volume name and pipe the stuff into the commands necessary to issue
> the commands dynamically, but I just do them manually right now.  We are
> heading down the automated path soon.
>
> The command that I use to move the data is:
>
> move data [volume_name] stg=[same_copy_pool]
>
> By doing this I am not exposed and I my operations department was able to
> continue a tape rotation they are used do.  The side effect is reclamation
> is automatically done by doing this.  I love 2 bird solutions.

Note that the move data command differs from true reclaimation in that
move data does not rebuild aggregates, so the reclaimable space on a tape
that is within an aggregate will not free up.  In other words, if you had
an aggregate of 10MB on one of these tapes, and all of the data within it
was expired, except for a single 1 byte file, move data will copy the
entire 10MB aggregate to the new output volumes.  Depending on the nature
of your data, this could actually add up to a lot of wasted tapes, as that
10MB aggregate will be copied around until that last 1 byte file is
expired.

A nit?  Perhaps...and perhaps not.

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
HOD Service Coordinator
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
TSM/ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)